Southwood is in a sister church relationship with the Uswaa Lutheran Parish, which is part of the Northern Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania. It is located on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro in north-central Tanzania, East Africa. Over the years, our partnership has seen incredible growth:
Tanzania Partnership Gallery
- First mission trip to Tanzania is held.
- Southwood Lutheran Church and the Uswaa Lutheran Parish (Tanzania) partner to build a church.
- Southwood began coordinating the Tanzania Scholarship program. Southwood partners with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania to support students at Christian high schools and local colleges/universities. Today, approximately 100 students attend school on scholarships sponsored by Southwood members and friends.
- Nkira Avaanga, a church started in partnership with Southwood in 2005, was dedicated to serve people of varying ages and abilities in this large geographic area.
- Southwood helped fund a computer lab at the Uroki school (part of the Uswaa Lutheran parish).
- Southwood supports building a medical dispensary to support the community.
- KuKu Project is introduced. This is a business providing income opportunities for people in the community. Chicks are hatched at the project and then given to farmers to raise and sell. The Uswaa KuKu project also makes feed for farmers to purchase and provides educational seminars for new farmers.
- Southwood partners with the Uswaa Church and Uroki school to install solar panels. The panels are instrumental in keeping electric power consistent during regular power source outages.