Southwood Lutheran Church is located on the south side of Lincoln; however, we haven't always been on 40th Street. Below is a brief history of how we began and landed in our current location.
The plan to expand the mission of the Lutheran church in Lincoln launches with the purchase of land at 5511 S. 27th Street (just north of Old Cheney).
God continues to bless Southwood's mission and ministries in Lincoln, as the church reaches a milestone of 1,000 members.
A third pastor is added to meet the growing needs of the congregation, which reaches another milestone of 2,000 members. Mission expansion to the world begins with the first mission trip to Honduras.
The commitment to reach out and and serve more with the love of God prompts Southwood to purchase land at South 40th Street and begin plans for relocation.
More people continue to come into God's family through Southwood. The 1,000th person is baptized.
Southwood breaks ground on its new home on South 40th Street. A Small Groups Ministry flourishes, and more people than ever begin using their time and talents to serve the Lincoln community.
Our new facility is dedicated, and Southwood begins a new chapter in its mission to Lincoln and the world beyond!
Within 5 years of being at our new location God has richly blessed Southwood with signficant growth in membership, ministries and missions.
- Over 700 children and youth attend weekly programming.
- 600 people are involved in personal growth ministries such as Small Groups, Men's, Women's and Senior ministries and Adult Sunday School.
- Over 3,500 members share Southwood's vision to grow in our love for God and others.
- Nearly 22% of all financial giving flowed outside the church walls into community and global mission.
- 657 members are actively engaged in mission work in Lincoln, Honduras and Tanzania.
- In 2012 the Southwood Garden was started up and produce 5 tons of food for the Lincoln Food Bank.